Back to School Night
Post date: Sep 11, 2008 7:43:20 PM
Back to School Night is not just about delivering a curriculum overview to the parents...
How do we communicate care? Edutopia: Communicating Care Article
Sample Back to School Night Agenda:
(Plan for about an one hour…leave time for questions
- Introductions/Teacher Bios (keep it short)
- MAP meeting info
- Expectations for students and parents
- Curriculum Overview (use your curriculum map as a guide to communicate what students will know and be able to do by the end of the year....year long essential questions?)
- Global Theme
- Essential Habits
- Assignment books/Homework/Exhibition
- Communication (how and when will you do it?…how should parents do it?)
- Assessment (How and when will you do this?)
- Reading at Home / Math expectations
- Class trips
- Wish list?
- Folders with handouts
- Student Work is on display (check out nearby bulletin boards and be sure they show student work)
● Engage parents at the beginning of the presentation (just like you do with students.) Play a short game…or do an activity that gets the parents talking to each other.
● Share the agenda with team members…all members of the team need to talk and participate in your presentation.
● Post your agenda for the evening.
● Dress sharp…be yourself…dazzle your parents with professionalism and concern for your students…this a great opportunity to communicate who you are!
● Any handouts to go in student folders must be delivered to grade level teams by 3:30 PM on Wednesday, October 18, 2013.