Humanities Lunch 3/25/2015
No Meeting -MCAS
Humanities Dept >
Humanities Notes 14-15
Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Meghan Hale, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin, Kay O'Dwyer
Topics - Summer Reading List?
GS and Lang Arts combined into Humanities grade next year?
No mtg due to MAP conferences
1. Writing Support - no update on scheduling for next year...
- letters to parents - next week?
2.Educator Evaluation - evidence and final meetings?
3. Summer reading list - update?
4. Curriculum supply list to go out before/at end of school?
5. NWEA reports - Let's look....how we use this data effectively?
6. Community Mtg. - June 2 - Molly...book blogs
- June 9 Felice and poets....
No dept. meeting next week due to MAP conferences... what do we need to wrap up/accomplish/identify to tackle for next school year?
Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Jesse Malloy, Molly Wright, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin, Kay O'Dwyer
*Writing Support - students identified
- response from Nina about schedule?
- grade 7&8 combined?
Educ. Evaluation - evidence and end of year meetings
NWEA - MAP reports..thanks Matt
1. Meetings for End of Year Eval. - schedule them!
2. Writing Support next year
3. Curriculum Map work
4. Update summer reading list. Also revise supply list ready for year end distribution.
Attendees: Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Jesse Malloy, Molly Wright, Meghan Hale, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin
1. Writing Support 2015-16
2. Humanities Grade vs. a global studies and writing grade? What is the downside?
3. Writing ....frequency of in class writing.... building up stamina, quality, developing better self-editing skills
4. Update summer reading lists sooner rather than later...
4.Educator Evaluation...evidence... summative meetings....
5. What else?
Attendees: Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Molly Wright, Meghan Hale, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin, Kay O'Dwyer
*Mon 5/4- Charter Presentation Ceremony event 11- 1:00 - students and work?
- focus on goals...evidence for these should meet the elements on rubric.....Suggestions for quality examples to use...
- final meeting/summative eval. with evaluator by end of May
*Formal Observations - every one will receive one this term...(BoT had initially requested one per teacher per term)
*Enrichment next year - what about a dedicated day to math/writing/reading vs. an independent study? -focus on skills - taught by classroom teachers rather than volunteers? - C Block and Enrichment combo?
Recommendation - teachers make themselves available to assist/reteach students rather creating an additional lesson for instruction. Using a Tues./Thurs 2:30-3:15 would be an option.
*Writing Support next year?
*Combining global studies and writing to a single humanities grade on report card?
*'c' level assignments in writing - conversation to be cont. What about acceleration in writing? How do we build up stamina? How do we develop greater self-editing skills?
Attendees: Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Jesse Malloy, Molly Wright, Meghan Hale, Alanna Shone, Kay O'Dwyer
* Question from Nina about baseline data and tracking student growth...
- more teacher- driven rather than school culture...3 distinct pieces of data with Exhibitions (beginning, middle, end)
- Humanities department goal of citing textual evidence is a component ...pre-assessment - direct instruction - student growth - final asessment
- Individual components, not entire writing curric. are part...
- MCAS, NWEA, Child Find - areas for growth...
Carol Solomon, Pam Miller, Jesse Malloy, Meghan Hale, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin, Kay O'Dwyer
* Ed. Eval....evidence gathering
* Writing across the grades..examples of 'c' level assignments: common characteristics, expectations, frequency.....
*'c' level assignments: length of time, multiple content areas, variety of skills required (vocab assessments might not always meet criteria) Compare, Interpret, Infer, Persuade..........
*Area for focus - teaching students to write on one topic aspect of person and not "birth-to-death" account!. (feature piece on Johnny remain in 6th)...... Challenge is teaching how paragraphs connect/flow to form a coherent paper...(7th grade National Parks essay)
Attendees: Meghan Hale. Molly Wright, Jesse Malloy, Pam Miller,
Carol Solomon, Alanna Shone, Matt Cronin, Kay O'Dwyer
Vision for New Space...Humanities Dept ideas
Writing Across the Grades
Writing Support 2015-16
1-10 of 30