Humanities Department Meeting Log

posted Oct 8, 2008, 12:52 PM by rredmond@marbleheadcharter.com   [ updated Oct 3, 2012, 6:57 AM by Kay O'Dwyer ]

       


HUMANITIES DEPARTMENT MEETING LOG

2012 -2013 School Year

10/22/2012

Present

Jeanne Dowdell

Carol McEnaney

Molly Wright

Pam Miller

Meghan Hale

Polly Conti

Kay O'Dwyer

Ann Chandler

Darren...(intern)

Nina Cullen Hamzeh (first portion)

9/25/2012

Present

Jeanne Dowdell

Carol McEnaney

Molly Wright

Pam Miller

Meghan Hale

Polly Conti

Kay O'Dwyer

Ann Chandler

Matt Cronin

Nina Cullen Hamzeh (first portion)


9/18/12 MAP week

Meeting  9/11/2012

Present:
 Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Meghan Hale
Polly Conti
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin

Meeting  9/4/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Meghan Hale
Polly Conti
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Carrie Gallugi
Matt Cronin
Nina Cullen-Hamzeh (first portion)
 

HUMANITIES DEPARTMENT MEETING LOG

School Year 2011-12

 

Meeting  5/22/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Molly Dunne
 
Steva Pierce
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  5/15/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Molly Dunne
Steva Pierce
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  5/8/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Molly Dunne
Steva Pierce
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Nicole Bingham

 

Meeting  5/1/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  4/24/2012

Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  4/10/2012

Present:
Guests from Malden
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

 Meeting  4/3/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  3/27/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  3/20/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Pam Miller
Erin Flynn
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  3/13/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Kay O'Dwyer
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  3/6/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Kay O'Dwyer
Molly Dunne
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  2/14/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Kay O'Dwyer
Molly Dunne
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  2/7/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Kay O'Dwyer
Molly Dunne
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham

Meeting  1/24/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Molly Dunne
Ann Chandler
Steva Pierce
Charlene White
Nicole Bingham
 

Meeting  1/17/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Pam Miller
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Molly Dunne

Meeting  1/10/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Ann Chandler
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce
Nicole Bingham
Charlene White
Molly Dunne

Meeting  1/3/2012

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Ann Chandler
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce
Nicole Bingham
Charlene White

Meeting  12/20/2011

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Ann Chandler
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce
Nicole Bingham
Charlene White

Meeting  12/13/2011

Noon Dismissal - no mtg.
 

Meeting  12/6/2011
 
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce

 

Meeting  11/29/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce

 

Meeting  11/15/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce

Meeting  11/8/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce

Meeting  11/1/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
 

Meeting  10/25/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Pierce

Meeting  10/18/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting  10/11/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting  10/4/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting  9/20/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Peirce

Meeting  9/13/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Steva Peirce
Charlene White

Meeting  9/6/2011
 

Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Pam Miller
Nicole Bingham
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
 
________________________________________________________________________
Meeting 6/07/2011
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 5/24/2011
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Carol McEnaney
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 5/17/2011
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
 
Meeting 5/17/2011
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
 
Meeting 5/10/2011
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 5/3/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 4/26/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Meeting 4/19/2011- Vacation week
Meeting 4/12/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Patricia Rietti
Kay O'Dwyer
Meeting 4/04/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 3/29/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 3/222011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 3/15/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting 3/1/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Ann Chandler
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting2/15/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Meghan Hale
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting2/8/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Erin Flynn
Ann Chandler
Meghan Hale
Kay O'Dwyer
 
Meeting2/1/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Matt Cronin
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Ann Chandler
Meghan Hale
Mike Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer
Meeting1/25/2011
 
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Kay O'Dwyer
 
 
Meeting1/18/2011
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Matt Cronin
Carol McEnaney
Michele Gallo
Kay O'Dwyer


 
 
Meeting1/11/2011
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Meghan Hale
Michele Gallo
Mike Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting1/4/2011
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Meghan Hale
Michele Gallo
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting12/21/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Molly Dunne
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Meghan Hale
Michele Gallo
Mike Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting12/14/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Meghan Hale
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting12/07/2010
Present:
  Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Meghan Hale
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting11/30/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Mike Quinn
Kaitlyn Bishop
Kay O'Dwyer

 
Meeting11/16/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Mike Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting10/26/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

 
Meeting10/19/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Megan Hale
Matt Cronin
Mike Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer

 
Meeting10/12/2010
Present:
 
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Megan Hale
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting10/05/2010
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer
Meeting 9/21/2010
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Ann Chandler
Megan Hale
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

 
Meeting 9/14/2010
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michael Quinn
Ann Chandler
Megan Hale
Matt Cronin
Kay O'Dwyer

Meeting Date 9/7/2010
Present:
Jeanne Dowdell
Michele Gallo
Molly Dunne
Molly Wright
Erin Flynn
Carol McEnaney
Michael Quinn
Kay O'Dwyer

Date __6/15/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P___

Matt Cronin _____P_____

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______A_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Agenda

1.) Will discuss what needs to get done this year and what needs to get done next year.

Action Items

1.) The department will work to complete the Alignment Document - or as much of it as possible - by the end of the year. Our plan is to clearly document the writing that our students do at each grade level. Additionally, we will make sure to attach - in a binder - a student work example for each major standard or group of standards taught. (As many as possible on this one...)

2.) Grammar resources for next year: Dedicated Teacher Advanced Grammar for grades 4 - 8

3.) Reading initiatives for next year. Brainstorm: book sharing during community meeting, "count the minutes" or some program where reading is measured and students are rewarded, all school book, CSL class involvement, author study (local author programming), battle of the books, book club enrichment, reading resources (book wizard)


Date __5/11/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____A___

Carissa Caulfield _____A_____

Matt Cronin _____P_____

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Agenda

1.) Discuss end of the year goals: fully develop Vertical Alignment documents; ensure that students are very clear on expectations for summer reading.

Action Items:

1.) Next week, department members will bring the following documents for further vertical alignment work: the document thus far (printed and handed out by Ryan a few weeks ago) and a copy of the ELA standards.



Date __4/13/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Agenda

1.) Discuss National Poetry Month and Vertical Alignment.



Date __4/6/10 - 4/7/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P/A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P/A_____

Carol McEnaney ______P/A____

Agenda

1.) Discuss the grade level writing compiled in all grades (4-8) and discuss what we see in each writing as a means of coming closer to clarifying what we expect our students to do in writing.


Date __3/30/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______A____

Agenda

1.) Discuss comments made by parents on the 2010 satisfaction survey which pertain to concerns with our writing program* (See below.)

Action Items

1.) The department discussed better sharing what we do: reading journals, peer observations, lesson sharing and student work sharing.

2.) Next week, the department will read through examples of student writing at each grade level in order to make observations (Ryan will collect samples and make a packet for each person.) The activity is intended to shine a light on just what our students are writing, just what our expectations should be of that writing and what the gaps are between those expectations and the work produced.

*
- Parent Satisfaction Survey 09 -10: Comments on Writing


"I am not satisfied with the English Language curriculum." (This commenter went to say that he/she wanted more reading of classic literature, more grammar book use and more writing.)

"Would like to see more reading/writing."

"It is poor in terms of...scope and sequence....a structured language arts and writing curriculum."

"The writing component is very weak."

"Overall, I do think students should be writing more."

"I would like to see more rigorous writing instruction."

"There is much less emphasis on writing skills."

"I am happy with the school in general but would very much like to see a stronger writing curriculum."


Date __3/23/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Agenda

1.) Discuss three things: summer reading; Ann Dolbear; and alignment.

Action Items

1.) The department will create a Google Doc in which to paste summer reading lists from all grade levels so that all ELA teachers can see all suggested titles.

2.) The department decided that while students must read at least one book over the summer, the activity done with that book is up to the grade level. Thoughts: 5 favorite quotations; book jacket; character sketch or letter

3.) The department also decided that it needed to clearly communicate to parents and students the requirements for summer reading by the end of May, so that it comes before the MCCPS Book Fair in June.

4.) Next week, the department will look over the vertical alignment document, highlight common threads and annotate a piece of writing at each grade level to identify the expectations for writing at each grade level (as determined by those common threads).



Date __3/2/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Agenda

1.) Build collegiality!


Date __2/23/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____


Agenda


1.) Discuss bringing an outside speaker into the school to speak with the school community about service work (relating it to Three Cups of Tea).

Date __2/9/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____


Agenda


1.) Vertical Alignment
2.) Community Meeting: Wednesday.

Date __2/2/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Carol McEnaney ______P____

Ann Dolbear _____P_____

Nina Cullen-Hamzeh _____P____


Agenda


1.) Quincy will present to the department her plans for Wednesday's morning meeting, so that the department can offer feedback and suggestions.
2.) We will continue to work on the vertical integration of our writing instruction.
3.) Ann Dolbear with speak with us about her own teaching experience, her expertise and how she may be able to assist us here at MCCPS.

Date __1/26/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Agenda


1. We will discuss the Wednesday professional development activities and what materials are needed.
2.) In addition, we will discuss the Three Cups of Tea initiative and the morning meeting presentations, specifically Wednesday's meeting.

Date __1/19/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______A_____

Agenda


1. We will discuss the Three Cups of Tea initiative and the morning meeting presentations.

Action Items

Date __1/12/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____A_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Ann Chandler ______P_____

Agenda


1. We will discuss the Three Cups of Tea initiative and vertical alignment.

Action Items

Friday - Reading of the picture book version of Three Cups of Tea
Friday Advisory - Hand out books, read the Promise and the Foreword

Week One, Wednesday - Overview of Afghanistan/Pakistan (Ryan)
Week One, Friday - Mountaineering (Matt)

Week Two, Wednesday - Education (Michele)
Week Two, Friday - Discussion

Week Three, Wednesday - Pennies for Peace/Philanthropy/Humanitarianism (Quincy)
Week Three, Friday - Discussion

Week Four, Wednesday - Letter writing project
Week Four, Friday - Discussion


Week One: Ch 1- 6 (ends at 40)

Week Two: Ch 7 - 13

Week Three: Ch 14-18

Week Four: Ch 19-22


Date __1/5/10____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____A____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____A_______

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1. We will discuss the Three Cups of Tea initiative and work on Exhibition overviews and calendars.

2. We will read the picture version of the book Three Cups of Tea in Community Meeting on Wednesday, January 6. In addition, Ryan will write a letter to parents to be sent home with students on that very Wednesday. In this letter, the book initiative will be explained and the request for donations will be made. 


Date __12/15/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____A____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____A_______

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______

Nina Cullen Hamzeh ______P______

Agenda


1. We will discuss the Three Cups of Tea initiative and work on Exhibition overviews and calendars.

2. We will read the picture version of the book Three Cups of Tea in Community Meeting on Wednesday, January 6. In addition, Ryan will write a letter to parents to be sent home with students on that very Wednesday. In this letter, the book initiative will be explained and the request for donations will be made. 


Date __12/8/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____A___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______

Agenda


1. At this week's meeting, the Department will discuss the following: the Three Cups of Tea initiative; a short video interview with Maja Wilson, teacher and author of Rethinking Rubrics; and our use of and strategies for using our grammar books this year.

2. Next week, the Department will create outlines explaining what grammar is taught in ELA classes at each grade level.


Notes on discussion:

Date __12/1/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____A___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____A___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____A_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


At our department meeting tomorrow, let's hammer some of this out and discuss the following:

1. What version of the book would we like our students to read? (If you have the book, would you bring it, please?)
2. Will we have each students have a copy to read or will some classes/grade levels read the book aloud?
3. During what time will we do our "work" on the book with students? During class time? During Community Meeting?
4. What themes do we really want to emphasize by reading this book? What skills?
5. What community-wide actions do we want to do while/as a result of reading this book?

Responses

1.  We'd like all students and teachers to read the young reader's edition - 260. Parents will be encouraged to read the adult version with their children.
2. The students will discuss and talk about the book: The Humanities Department will develop questions/themes for mixed-grade level discussions during Community Meeting and lunch.
3. We will begin after Christmas and take this on in January 3 meeting times in January: a.) Mountaineering. b.) Schools c.) Larger-service oriented meeting.
a.
b. Tea
c. Afghani food?


Notes on discussion:

Date __11/24/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1. Exhibition Check-in

Notes on discussion:

    1. Exhibition Pluses

- Most students bought into the interactive portion of the 7th grade project: money granted to groups which presented well.
- The preposition poems worked well in 6th grade.
- 4th grade: The students, set up in a different way, did much better. Jean did many read alouds with the kids, modeling for them picture books and immigrant stories: this process taught them much more about immigration and about how a story book is constructed.
-6th grade car project: came together much better this year due to having gone through the project last year. The students practiced much more this year and graded one another. The poetry cafe went really well. The music there kept people's attention.
- Visitors/Alumni are great to have back. It really tells us the impact we've had on them, academically and socially.

    2. Exhibition Minuses

- Parent high jinx: derailing of the handing-out-of-money.
- Exhibition day and the day after: the task is unclear such that behavior can be bad.
- Trouble with scheduling during the opening event at Exhibition. The 7th and 8th grade students waited in the Community Room for about 20 minutes, due to the backed-up schedule.
- At the same time, the alumni sometime prove to be distractions on Exhibition night itself.

Date __11/17/09___

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) Check-in meeting

Action Item



Date __11/10/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) All-school book?

Action Item

1.)
Here's the initial thought from the Humanities Department about implementing an all-school book.

All School Book: Greg Mortenson, Three Cups of Tea (Adult version, adolescent version, children's picture book version)

Encouraged Event:
Mortenson at Boston Public Library on Saturday, December 5, 2009 at 1:30 pm.

All School Film: Blindsight

Date __11/3/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) We will discuss the terminology outlined in the book Building Academic Vocabulary and look to identify what terminology we introduce, use, focus on and teach at each grade level. (Thanks for the materials, Jeanne!)

Date __10/20/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) We will discuss any shared needs, then read "Jamie Oliver Puts America's Diet on a Diet" followed with a discussion.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, we (the ELA folks and other interested parties, Quincy and Carissa) will discuss how vocabulary and how grammar is taught at the different grade levels.
2.) Next week, we'll look at creating a homework rubric.
3.) In addition, in the future, differentiation activity...
4.) In addition, in the future, M.A.P. goals, for us, upcoming...
5.) In addition, in the future, a conversation about Department priorities need to be determined...
6.) In addition, in the future, expect a conversation about reading (an all school book, for example)...
7.) Grading, grading, grading conversations...


Date __10/27/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____A______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) We (the ELA folks and other interested parties, Quincy and Carissa) will discuss how vocabulary and how grammar is taught at the different grade levels.
2.) We will also look at creating a homework rubric.

Date __10/20/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) We will discuss any shared needs, then read "Jamie Oliver Puts America's Diet on a Diet" followed with a discussion.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, we (the ELA folks and other interested parties, Quincy and Carissa) will discuss how vocabulary and how grammar is taught at the different grade levels.
2.) Next week, we'll look at creating a homework rubric.
3.) In addition, in the future, differentiation activity...
4.) In addition, in the future, M.A.P. goals, for us, upcoming...
5.) In addition, in the future, a conversation about Department priorities need to be determined...
6.) In addition, in the future, expect a conversation about reading (an all school book, for example)...
7.) Grading, grading, grading conversations...

HUMANITIES DEPARTMENT MEETING LOG



Date __10/13/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____A___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____A_____

Matt Cronin _____P_______

Molly Wright _____P______

Kay O'Dwyer _____P______


Agenda


1.) The ELA teachers will discuss frequently used language on MCAS testing.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, Ryan will bring student work and materials for a Tuning protocol.

Date __10/6/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin ______P_____

Molly Wright _____P_____

Kay O'Dwyer _____P_____


Agenda


1.) Molly brought up the continued need for MCAS preparation/open response writing preparation needed. In addition, Molly raised the possibility of offering a writing enrichment for second term for students not pulled out from language class but who need help. 

2.) In addition, a discussion of the culture around how we talk about/present MCAS was raised. Culture shift needed: we need to make it more formal, more serious, more relevant, and avoid dismissive attitudes regarding the MCAS.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, we'll look at MCAS questions to identify essential language used in the tests. Each ELA teacher will print out 5 relevant questions from the grade level MCAS.

2.) Next week, each ELA teacher will bring 5 examples of MCAS questions in order to discuss the language used in MCAS questions.

3.) In two weeks, Ryan will bring student work and materials for a Tuning protocol.

Date __9/22/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___


Adria Smith _____A____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin ______P_____

Molly Wright _____P_____

Kay O'Dwyer _____P_____


Agenda


1.) Discuss and delegate Tuesday morning meetings.
2.) Discuss any shared needs.
4.) (in ELA specific group) Continue to discuss the MCAS open response issue from last week. Come up with action plan.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Dominique - will present the Fundreds project at next week's Tuesday Morning Meeting. In addition, the calendar for Tuesday meetings until November 10 is set.

2.) How do we create more even splits for language classes? In 5th grade French, one class is huge, one is small. Idea: Have 4th graders take, in tandem, Spanish and French at the beginning of the year. Then pick.


Date __9/15/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___


Adria Smith _____P____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin ______P_____

Molly Wright _____P_____

Kay O'Dwyer _____P_____


Agenda


1.) We will continue a "Consultancy" conversation begun with Jeanne having presented a dilemma for the group.
2. ) Next week, we will discuss the MCAS Open Response
issue: our students don't do well on it, so how can we support them and better teach them the skills needed?


Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Suggestions about Open Response questions: Many students in 6th grade skipped the questions. Some students are burned out by the end of the test and don't do well on the OR's. Some students may lack the vocabulary necessary for content-specific questions. How do we teach logic and the reasonable response? We need to teach them a formula, a template, with how to answer? How to we change the psychology of not using complete sentences, complete, thorough answers on the part of students? We need to hold students accountable across the board, not just in ELA. We need to teach them across the board, not just in ELA. The ELA folks will plan to meet to come up with some action plans when the MCAS official results are released.

2.) Jeanne's dilemma - how to meet the needs of and teach 4th grade students of so widely varying abilities in reading - raised a very important question about phonics versus whole language reading pedagogy.


Date __9/8/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___


Adria Smith _____P____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin ______P_____

Molly Wright _____A_____

Kay O'Dwyer _____P_____


Agenda


1.) Discuss curriculum mapping.
2.) Discuss discussion protocols (Critical Friends Group-oriented protocols)

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, we will continue a "Consultancy" conversation begun with Jeanne having presented a dilemma for the group.
2. Next week, we will discuss the MCAS Open Response
issue: our students don't do well on it, so how can we support them and better teach them the skills needed?


Date __9/1/09____

Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___


Adria Smith _____P____

Carissa Caulfield _____P_____

Matt Cronin ______P_____

Molly Wright _____P_____

Kay O'Dwyer _____P_____


Agenda


1.) Relax. Kick Back. Read "At Louvre, Many Stop to Snap but Few Stay to Focus" by Michael Kimmelman (New York Times, 8/08/09). Discuss. Ease into department meetings.

Action Items/ Decisions


2.) Next week, we'll discuss curriculum planning as well as Critical Friends Group-oriented protocols.
 



Date __6/15/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) ELA grammar books: likely we will get them.

2.) What to work on for next year?
a. The department will discuss this year and next year: what worked and what should we do in the year to come?
b. The Tuning Protocols were useful for the presenter and the participants.
c. How to teach study skills and organization: needed. Discussion about reading, how we approach it: needed.
d. Did we go over Professional MAP goals at the beginning of the year? We should, as the year continues.
e. How else can kids reflect on the MAP goals? Could they grade one another? Could they follow a protocol to evaluate one another? Could one day per week be the designated MAP reflection day: writing, discussion, etc? Are the goals ambitious enough? Time should be taken by team to discuss possible goals before the MAP meetings.
f. Supply lists: Teachers should have checklists to determine what materials students brought in.  
g. How do we commend ELA students, like ALEKS students are commended? Guiding Readers and Writers? Reader's notebooks? Documenting what students read? Having students write journal entries on their books? Workshop on how to maintain student reading, train teachers.
h. Late work? Missing students? What do we do with late work? Late work policy?

Action Items/ Decisions


2.) See above.
 

Date __6/8/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____A____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) The department will discuss end of the year needs, concerns, questions, etc. In addition, the department - or the ELA portion of it - discussed the use of grammar books and summer reading.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Ryan will speak with Jeff regarding the ordering of the grammar books.

Date __5/18/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) The department will discuss MAP goals and summer reading.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) ELA teachers will compile readings lists and send them on to Matt. Lists of recommended books will be created along with a smaller list of three or four books from which each student, at each grade level, will read one.

5/11/09

Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) Ryan will present either a video or a dilemma for a group discussion.

Action Items/ Decisions

1.) The group discussed the following issues: How many assessments are enough for assessing a student in a given strand? How do we ensure that we grade for academic understanding over effort in our grading system? Are there ways to ensure that our students and parents look at the CUE Report?



Date __4/27/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1.) Karen will present - in a "Tuning Protocol" conversation.

Action Items/ Decisions



Date __4/13/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1.) Rosanna will present in a "Tuning Protocol" discussion.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Karen will present - in a "Tuning Protocol" conversation - at our next meeting.

Date __4/7/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____

Julie Burridge (guest)


Agenda


1.) Rosanna will present in a "Tuning Protocol" discussion.

2.) Because of the shortened time - it was raining and recess was inside - we decided not to begin the "Tuning Protocol" discussion, and instead, used the time to speak a bit with Julie, a onetime Enrichment leader at MCCPS, who had contacted the school interested in learning about teaching.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, Rosanna will present.


Date __3/24/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda



1. We'll talk a bit about Wednesday Community Meetings again. If you've had brainstorms over the past week, please be ready to share. (In addition, for a bit of context, the Math/Science department folks are taking on their Community Meeting day on a rotating basis. Not that we have to do that, but it's a thought.)

2. I'd like for us to make plans for another Tuning Protocol conversation for our next meeting.

3. Please bring materials with which to work on your upcoming Unit, Exhibition guidelines, rubrics, etc. We'll spend some time at today's meeting getting this work ready. We'll be presenting to colleagues tomorrow afternoon.

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, Rosanna will present in a "Tuning Protocol" discussion.


Date __3/17/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) Work on curriculum maps

2.) Discuss the use of Wednesday morning meetings

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, the department will work on tweaking and reworking third trimester curriculum maps.  


Date __3/3/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1.) Work on curriculum maps for the third trimester

Action Items/ Decisions




Date __2/24/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1.) Discuss how to use meeting time during department meetings

Action Items/ Decisions


1.) Next week, the department will work on tweaking and reworking third trimester curriculum maps.  

Date __2/10/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1.) Tuning Protocol: Molly will moderate and Quincy will present.

Action Items/ Decisions

1.) In two weeks time - after the coming vacation - our agenda will be to look at what we should do in department meetings for the remainder of the year.


Date __1/27/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1.) We'll check-in on what's working and what isn't working in terms of the work we've done as a Department thus far.

2.) We'll talk about encouraging our students to get their work out there, whether its writing, music or artwork of some sort. To that end, we'll talk about specific events/contests/etc.

3.) We'll talk about a few teaching-writing workshops in April that may be of interest and use. (The fliers are on the back of the door in the "cake room/mail room.")

4.) We'll plan another Tuning Protocol discussion for next week.


Action Items/ Decisions

1.) In next week's Tuning Protocol Discussion, Quincy will present and Molly will moderate.


Date __1/27/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. We will discuss what materials need to be ready for Exhibition Two and for the presentations in the all staff meeting on 1/28/09. After questions are clarified and brainstorming is done, members of the department will work on their own to prepare materials: overviews, rubrics, etc.


Action Items/ Decisions



Date __1/23/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. Adria will present student work in another Tuning Protocol discussion.


Action Items/ Decisions


Date__1/13/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. The Department will discuss possible ideas for Black History Month.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. On January 20, Inauguration Day, one day after Martin Luther King, Jr day, the department will present an assembly for the entire school focusing on the legacy of Dr. King as well as the inauguration. The school will watch, in real time, the inaugural address.


Date __1/6/09_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. The Department will discuss and give feedback - in the form of writing - to Elizabeth Lutwak who is currently writing an grant for an NEH-funded library of classic American texts.

2. The Department will discuss possible ideas for Black History Month.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. On the December 17 all staff meeting, the department will hand out copies of the Tuning Protocol, explain what it is to the rest of the staff, run through a truncated, sped-up version of


2. The Department decided that it didn't want to do anything contrived or forced and would like to do some presentation/activity around the inauguration of Barack Obama. Next week, in the department meeting, the team will plan this out.

Date __12/16/08_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. The Department will plan out how to present this work to the rest of staff on December 17.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. On the December 17 all staff meeting, the department will hand out copies of the Tuning Protocol, explain what it is to the rest of the staff, run through a truncated, sped-up version of the conversation and then facilitate a discussion after about the uses and benefits of such work.


Date __12/9/08_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____



Agenda


1. Molly Dunne will present work as the department works through another round of using the Tuning Protocol.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. The department will plan a presentation to the rest of the staff about the Tuning Protocol, to be presented on December 17.



Date __12/2/08_______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____A____



Agenda


1. The Department will proceed through the rest of the Tuning Protocol, begun at the last meeting.

2. Decide who will present the following week in another conversation about our work guided by the Tuning Protocol.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. Molly Dunne will be the presenter next week.


Date ___11/25/08______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____A___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1. We will review the Tuning Protocol and Michele will present student work.


Action Items/ Decisions




Date 11/18/08


Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ____P____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Quincy Carpenter ____P___

Dominique Dart _____P___

Rosanna Longenbaker __P_______

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1. We will discuss writing MAP goals, share ideas of soon-to-be or past MAP goals, brainstorm together and then write our own.



Action Items/ Decisions




Date _11/4/08________


Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___A_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___A_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____


Quincy Carpenter ___A___

Dominique Dart  ____A____

Rosanna Longenbaker  ____P____

Adria Smith ____P_____



Agenda


1. Discuss and decide on discussion protocol to be used in future department meetings.

Action Items/ Decisions


1. The department decided to utilize the "Tuning" protocol in upcoming department meetings. Michele agreed to be the first presenter at the next meeting, which will take place on 11/18/08. For this, she will bring 9 copies of student work, assignment handouts and rubrics for the protocol-guided discussion.

Date _10/28/08________


Attendance

Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____


Quincy Carpenter ___P____

Dominique Dart  ____P____

Rosanna Longenbaker  ____P____

Adria Smith _________



Agenda


1. Reflect on Professional Development from last week. Thoughts for the future?

2. Thoughts on how to best facilitate the MAP grading exercise in tomorrow's Professional Development.

3. Ryan will share handouts, thoughts on and plans for introducing some Protocols - for looking at student work - to department meetings.


Action Items/ Decisions


1. For next week, we will read through the three protocols. At next week's meeting, we'll decide upon which protocol to use, ask for volunteers for the first facilitator and first presenter.




Date __10/21/08______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ___P_____

Michele Gallo _____P___

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____


Quincy Carpenter ___P____

Dominique Dart  ____P____

Rosanna Longenbaker  ____P____

Adria Smith _____P____


Agenda


1. Announcement: Ryan will explain the plans for the Humanities Department to be expanded to include music, art and languages.

2. Discussion: Ryan will present to the department plans for Wednesday's Professional Development and will seek feedback in order to finalize plans.

3. The department will brainstorm and write about what should be included in a student portfolio.

4. Shared needs



Action Items/ Decisions

Shared Needs: Do faculty meetings apply to all? Perhaps not all staff need to attend all faculty meetings. Should Special Education staff participate in other Department meetings?



Date _10/14/2008___


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ____P____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne _____P___

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____

Guests ___Pam Miller________________________________________


Agenda


1. Ryan will give an update on school-wide English support structures.

2. Ryan will propose MAP goal writing prompt/rubric to be created by department: Map Reflection modeled on MCAS Open Response.

3. The department will finalize our plans for Professional Development (for 10/22/08)

Action Items/ Decisions


1. Pam Miller joined the meeting and shared with the department her MAP reflection. The department looked over it, gave feedback and ultimately approved of it for use across the grade levels.

2. Because the department did not finalize plans for Professional Development for 10/22/08, Ryan agreed to put something together to share with the department at the 10/21/08 meeting.



Date _10/8/2008___


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell __P______

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


1. Hand in Curriculum Map/Scope and Sequence calendars.
2. Discuss ways in which we, as a department, can help to support, promote and accentuate Writing Across the Curriculum.



Action Items/ Decisions


The department discussed and collected information on what we might be able to present to the entire staff in a Professional Development workshop: the focus being how can we teach our non-Humanities teaching colleagues about teaching and assessing writing.




Date ___9/30/08______


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell __Absent______

Michele Gallo ____Present (P)____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ____P____

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


Individually, Humanities teachers will work at completing scopes and sequences with the help of the list of curriculum standards as well as a blank calendar.




Action Items/ Decisions


At the next meeting, in addition to other agenda items, already on the calender, the Humanities teachers will present and share scopes and sequences.




Date _9/16/08____


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell _P_______

Michele Gallo ___P_____

Molly Dunne ____P____

Karen Girouard __P______

Ryan Redmond ___P_____

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


1. Look over the 6 Trait Writing Rubric created by the department during the 2007-2008 year
2. Look at curriculum mapping
3. Discussion of department materials/where department materials should be kept

Action Items/ Decisions


1. In our next meeting, September 30, we will bring our curriculum maps to share. In addition, in that meeting, we will look at the Unit and Lesson Planning Database.




Date _9/9/08_____


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell __Present (P)_____

Michele Gallo ____P____

Molly Dunne _____P___

Karen Girouard ___P_____

Ryan Redmond ___P_____

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


1. Speak about our culture of silent reading, Advisory time as reading time, the gift book program


2. Community Service Learning: Read excerpt from staff community service learning book, make observations, speak about our goals as a community to this end



Action Items/ Decisions


1. Ryan will contact Kathy Cormier and Elizabeth Lutwak about the school library/gift book program ideas.

2. Ryan will email the long-range planning calenders to the department.

3. Ryan will email out to the department the writing rubric with the department worked on last year.




Date _________


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ________

Michele Gallo ________

Molly Dunne ________

Karen Girouard ________

Ryan Redmond ________

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________




Action Items/ Decisions


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________




Date _________


Attendance


Jeanne Dowdell ________

Michele Gallo ________

Molly Dunne ________

Karen Girouard ________

Ryan Redmond ________

Guests _____________________________________________________



Agenda


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________




Action Items/ Decisions


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________


__________________________________________________________________

Comments